Friday, October 30, 2009

Lingerie Football League Giving Women's Sports A Bad Name

I thought I would have a hard time finding another topic to discuss until a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, for sake of embarassment, sent me a link for lingerie football. I actually cannot believe that these women actually get paid to play. Really, women running around playing full contact football in lingerie? This is pathetic and quite sad. Women have a hard enough time trying to prove themselves in the sports arena compared to their male counterparts and in athleticism, without throwing in a curve that depicts them as sexual objects while playing a game.

The Lingerie Football League (LFL) is an indoor football league that was founded in 2003, but the inaugural season did not begin until this year. It is not a surprise to find out that the the administrative offices for the league are located in none other than, West Hollywood, California. The idea for this league originated from the Superbowl halftime special the "Lingerie Bowl" which is aired annually on pay-per-view, opposite the Superbowl halftime show. To add another flame to the fire, most of the teams are coached by former NFL players and coaches. Maybe Michael Vick can take this up as an extra-curricular activity instead of his former dog-fighting arena. Yes, I am putting both into the category of being morally wrong. The only difference in my opinion is that one is illegal, the other is not. The whole thing is nothing but an exploitation of women that further makes women's sports fall a little further to the wayside.

There are 10 teams in the league and some of team names speak for themselves:

Philadelphia Passion
Chicago Bliss
Miami Caliente
New York Majesty
Tampa Breeze
Dallas Desire
Denver Dream
Los Angeles Temptation
San Diego Seduction
Seattle Mist

As you can see, some teams chose very appropriate names for themselves when you think of women palying football in lingerie. Unfortunatley, I do have to provide you with a link to this topic, although I in know way support it, I will spare you the many u-tube videos available and send you to the official site http://www.lflus.com/.

5 comments:

  1. How nice it must be to have friends that think enough of you to send you ideas. Wish I had one like that. Anyway....I agree with you completely. It's just sad that the women playing must see nothing wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of getting slapped, I must confess that I couldn't wait to click on the link! I will refrain from other comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, Sandi, Sandi, I can't believe you are refraining from comment. Please share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe this really exists! I agree with you that it is sad and pathetic. I don't think anyone would really consider this a true sport!

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhhh I am dumbfounded. This is insane.

    ReplyDelete